The Less than 5 minute cranial nerve screen



Dr. Caudill and I have the privilege to teach in the Doctor of Physical Therapy program at USC, where we recently taught in the Neuropathology course.  As many of my students know, I love the cranial nerves!  There is something charming and lovely about the 12 small pairs of cranial nerves exiting from the brainstem.   More importantly, the cranial nerves provide exquisite insight for neurologic differential diagnosis.    I cannot emphasize enough the importance of completing an efficient and accurate cranial nerve screen for patients with neurologic dysfunction. 

The students in our class are now completing their final internships and I received a request from one of them to post “5 minute Cranial Nerve Screen” video that I had filmed for our class.   I put this short video together in my kitchen one afternoon with my then 4 year old daughter in order to demonstrate that a brief cranial nerve screen could be done in 5 minutes or less (I believe we completed it in 4:05).   I have to thank my daughter for being a somewhat willing test subject.  After watching the video a few times, I could definitely improve upon my technique in a few places, but the point is to get the flow and speed of the exam. 
Disclaimer: I don't normally describe facial sensory testing like “spiders crawling on the face”, so please be aware that I was using age appropriate language and instructions and modify your instructions based on your population. 

When we tried this in class, I believe we got it done in fewer than two and half minutes, so, no excuses about not having enough time in an evaluation for a cranial nerve screen! 

Here are the components of the screen included in the video:

CN II:  Visual Fields
CN II, III:  Pupillary Light Reflex
CN III, IV, VI: eye movements
CN V:  Face sensation, muscles of mastication
CN VII: Muscles of facial expression
CN VII:  Hearing screen
CN IX, X: voice quality, palate elevation, uvula deviation
CN XI: trapezius, SCM muscle testing
CN XII:  Tongue function

Click on the link for the video!


Comments

  1. She had me scared for a second with V3 of CN V, jk. Great video and good reminder of how easy/quick it can be to perform the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jojo. So much harder to hold a 4 year olds attention--probably one of my most difficult CN screens for that reason.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Exercise as Medicine: Don't Forget Your Daily Dose!

Top 5 Reasons to Exercise if you have Parkinson's

Namaste--Breathing Meditation